Thursday, 18 August 2011

New Job

Today was the first day at my new job, and I already love it. I can't remember the last time I felt this much enthusiasm or had this many ideas about moving forward, with any project. In fact I'm not sure I have ever been so inspired.

It was supposed to be a morning of talking and orientation but by noon, I was on my hands and knees bagging up fresh fruit and veg donated via Oz Harvest to distribute to the clients (asylum seekers).

The space is positive but there's much scope for improvement. For the first time in a while, the centre is able to relax a little in terms of funding and I think now is a great time to personalise it for the people it serves. So much can be done with next to no money and it's time for the users to own their centre, surround themselves with pieces of them, their lives and experiences. The 'teacher' in me is bursting with creativity and ideas for engagement with both existing and new clients.

The volunteers hold the place together. Their dedication is inspiring. I will learn a lot from them and I hope we can bounce off each other and create something marvellous.

I was brainstorming with a colleague today and our ideas were meshing, cascading like water. I haven't felt like that before, ever.

For perhaps the first, real time in my working life, I feel like a proper adult, I feel in control. I don't feel like I'm winging it, despite having only just started in the role.
Thank you to my husband for his patience and kindness in allowing me the time I needed to find my niche. To my friends, too, for their support (and teasing). I may have had a month as a lady of leisure but I managed to restrict my shoe shopping to nil.

I think I've finally found the oxygen for my fire. I couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you have found your niche....though I do miss your voice at the end of the phone when I ring Darlinghurst! Zelda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naww, stop ringing that number then! Thank you, I'm thrilled :o)

    ReplyDelete